As a homeowner, one of the experiences you wouldn’t want to go through is to receive the shocking bill from home system and household appliance repairs. Occasionally amounting to thousands, these expenses can easily throw you off your budget and financial planning. To avoid having to worry about such surprises, it’s always recommended that every homeowner signs up for a home warranty plan.
Thankfully, there are experienced home warranty service providers such as HMS Home Warranty who are ready to help. With over 40 years of practice in the business, HMS Home Warranty has since evolved and recently merged with Cinch Home Services to provide better home warranty plans to its customers across the United States.
But what constitutes a good home warranty plan and how would you know if the one you’re picking out is the best of the lot? Today, we’ll join you on a journey to understanding what helps HMS Home Warranty stand out and deep dive into the pros and cons of this home warranty service provider. Below, you’ll get a clearer look into the plans offered by HMS Home Warranty and finally see if they’re the right home warranty company for you.
And without further ado, let’s begin to learn about HMS Home Warranty.
Getting to know HMS Home Warranty
HMS Home Warranty is a home warranty service provider with 40 years of experience in the industry. While the head office sits in Florida, HMS Home Warranty is proud to provide a wide network of coverage to most cities across the United States except Alaska and Hawaii. Rebranded in October 2019, HMS Home Warranty is now better known as Cinch Home Services. As a part of the rebrand, HMS Home Warranty now boasts a more modern look and a sleeker website while assuring over 1 million of their customers that everything else including their home warranty plans, prices, and customer service remains the same.
While they are not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, HMS Home Services still manages to receive a B+ rating from BBB. They have since resolved almost 3,000 complaints via the BBB over the last 3 years, with over 800 of those having been closed in recent months.
Granted 18 awards from the Stevie Awards® for Excellence in Sales and Customer Service in 2020, HMS Home Warranty is a nationally recognized home warranty service provider. This may be thanks to its customer service team who are available 24/7 or perhaps from their nationwide network of professional technicians who are ready to assist. Either way, it’s easy to see how HMS Home Warranty remains as one of the powerhouse names in the home warranty business.
Plans offered by HMS Home Warranty
One of the best features of HMS Home Warranty is the flexibility of the plans offered. Unlike most home warranty service providers, homeowners can choose if they would like to protect only their appliances or home services as they wish. Separately, homeowners are welcome to select the full home warranty protection plan from HMS Home Warranty. Here is a clearer breakdown of the 3 home warranty plans offered by HMS Home Warranty:
Appliances warranty plan from $27.99 a month
Below, you’ll find the appliances that are covered under the HMS Home Warranty Appliances warranty plan. This is the cheapest warranty plan provided by HMS Home Warranty, and homeowners may claim up to $2,000 per item, per year.
- Clothes dryers
- Clothes washers
- Built-in food centers, not including removable parts
- Free-standing ice makers
- Built-in microwaves
- Kitchen ranges
- Kitchen range exhaust hoods
- Kitchen refrigerators, not including any built-in multi-media centers
- Built-in trash compactors
- Built-in wall ovens
Built-in Systems warranty plan from $32.99 a month
Subsequently, for homeowners who do not wish to extend coverage to their household appliances, you can also opt for the Built-in Systems warranty plan from HMS Home Warranty. This warranty plan starts from $32.99 a month and covers the items below:
- Air-conditioning units including ductwork and parts
- Built-in attic fans
- Built-in ceiling fans
- Central vacuum system, not including removable hosts and accessories
- Doorbells, not including the intercom and monitoring system
- Electrical systems including current wiring and lighting fixtures
- Garage door openers, not including door or door track, cables, and springs
- Garbage disposals
- Heating systems including ductwork
- Instant hot and cold water dispensers
- Plumbing systems including valves and lines as well as drain and sewer stoppages
- Smoke detectors including battery-operated and hardwired units
- Sump pump including permanently installed sump pumps from groundwater only
- Toilets including toilet wax ring seals, clearing of toilet clogging, and other toilet mechanisms
- Water heaters including tankless water heaters and circulating pumps. This coverage does not include auxiliary holding and storage tanks, fuel storage tanks, or energy conservation units
- Built-in whirlpool and jetted tub units
Complete Home Warranty plan from $39.99 a month
Finally, HMS Home Warranty offers a Complete Home Warranty plan that starts from $39.99 a month. This plan is the most recommended and value for money home warranty plan from HMS Home Warranty as it includes all coverages from both the Appliance warranty plan and Built-in Systems warranty plan. Separately, homeowners would also be able to make a claim for the Homeowners Insurance Deductible Reimbursement of up to $500 a year. This claim is only applicable to customers who are covered in the Complete Home Warranty plan.
On top of the items covered above, HMS Home Warranty also provides a 180-day workmanship guarantee in case your home system or appliance breaks down again. This guarantee allows you to call for a technician again at no extra cost until your home system or household item is fixed. Separately, HMS Home Warranty is one of the rare home warranty service providers who approve coverages for unknown pre-existing conditions. That said, it’s always best to double-check with your customer service representative to ensure your home system or appliances are protected in the home warranty plan of your choice.
The pros and cons of HMS Home Warranty
After knowing more about HMS Home Warranty and the plans they offer, it’s time to dive into understanding some of the pros and cons of the company. This should help you decide if HMS Home Warranty is the home warranty service provider you’d like to go with and cover some of the important matters to watch out for before signing up.
[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- HMS Home Warranty is widely available in the United States – With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, residents across the nation are likely to receive coverage from HMS Home Warranty. This is coupled with HMS Home Warranty’s network of professional technicians, so you and your family can receive assistance at the quickest hour possible from the moment you open a service request.
- HMS Home Warranty provides a 180-day workmanship guarantee – Unlike most home warranty companies; HMS Home Warranty has a long 180-day workmanship guarantee. This provides you with complete confidence that your home system or household appliance will be fixed – free of charge – if any other problem arises within 180 days from the time of the previous service.
- There are 3 different home warranty plans to choose from – For homeowners who wish to specifically choose whether to protect their appliances or home systems or both, HMS Home Warranty allows for a flexible home warranty selection.
[/wpsm_pros][/wpsm_column][wpsm_column size=”one-half” position=”last”][wpsm_cons title=”CONS:”]
- You may experience slower repair times – Unfortunately, some customers of HMS Home Warranty have reported slow repair times. This is following their service request not being attended to immediately, and there have also been complaints about the technician’s tardiness.
- There is a chance in payment delays – Similarly, some customers have also reported on reimbursement delays from HMS Home Warranty. These complaints are however quickly attended to as seen on the Better Business Bureau website, successfully boosting HMS Home Warranty’s trustworthiness.
Frequently asked questions about HMS Home Warranty
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”Is HMS Home Warranty a reliable company?“]
Yes, HMS Home Warranty is a reliable company. They are however currently known as Cinch Home Services following a merger and rebranding exercise in October 2019. The headquarter of HMS Home Warranty is set in Florida, and they have been in the home warranty industry for 40 years.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=” I am an existing customer with HMS Home Warranty. How will HMS Home Warranty’s rebrand exercise to Cinch Home Services affect my home warranty plan or price?“]
There will be no change to your existing home warranty plan and pricing. The rebranding exercise simply puts a more modern form to HMS Home Warranty. Where needed, you can always check on your account and home warranty plan via the HMS Home Warranty homeowners’ portal.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”What is the difference between home insurance and a home warranty?“]
Simply put, a home insurance policy will protect your home from exterior damages and dangers such as fire damage, flood damage, and losses from theft or robberies. A home warranty plan however protects the interiors of your home including home systems such as electrical and plumbing systems as well as appliances such as washers, dryers, and refrigerators.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”Why do I need a home warranty plan if I already have a home insurance policy?“]
Even if you have a home insurance policy, that policy will not safeguard your belongings. In case of an extensive repair to your home systems or household appliances, a home warranty plan will protect you financially so you can repair these items accordingly (Up to its limits)
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”How do I make a claim with HMS Home Warranty?“]
There are several ways to make your claim with HMS Home Warranty. One of the most convenient ways is to open a service request via the “My Account” service on the HMS Home Warranty Website. Subsequently, HMS Home Warranty also prides itself on providing customers with a 24/7 customer service team who will be ready to assist you in opening a service request. Finally, you could pair your Amazon Alexa system to your home warranty plan and ask Alexa to wirelessly open a service request for you.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”Are there any hidden fees that I must pay if I have a home warranty plan?“]
There are no hidden fees when you sign up for HMS Home Warranty. You may however be expected to pay for a call service fee, payable to your technician with every home visit. This fee varies from region to region and may start from $100 per visit. Should you require return visits from your technician in case the repairs are not satisfactory, you won’t have to pay again as you will be protected with the 180-day workmanship guarantee from HMS Home Warranty.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”How long do I have to wait before making a claim with HMS Home Warranty?“]
As with most home warranty service providers, there is a waiting period of 30 days before you can make a claim. This is calculated from the day you sign up with HMS Home Warranty.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”Can I cancel my home warranty plan?“]
If you decide to cancel your home warranty plan with HMS Home Warranty, you will be refunded accordingly. You may however be expected to pay a one-time cancellation fee of $25 to expedite the cancellation process.
[wpsm_accordion_section title=”Do I have to renew my home warranty plan annually?“]
With HMS Home Warranty, you will not have to worry about renewing your plan annually. This is as they have an auto home warranty plan renewal service, so your home and loved ones will always remain protected.
In conclusion: Is HMS Home Warranty right for you?
As we understand that finding the right home warranty company can be stressful, it’s always important to weigh the pros and cons while looking out for the right service provider. In a nutshell, we would say that HMS Home Warranty is the right company for you if you live in any of the states across the nation except for Alaska or Hawaii. Separately, they are also recommended for their plan affordability and flexibility as you will have 3 plans to choose from.
Customers should however consider that HMS Home Warranty has received several complaints on delayed reimbursements and repair times. This may be inconvenient in case you need emergency fixes to your home or if you expect to be riddled in budget constraints. While most of these issues can be resolved in time, it should always be placed into consideration when choosing the right home warranty service provider for yourself.